1Ziegler-Graham K, MacKenzie EJ, Ephraim PL, Travison TG, Brookmeyer R. Estimating the prevalence of limb loss in the United States: 2005 to 2050. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2008;89:422-9.
Your progress. Our program.
California Rehabilitation Institute provides individualized care to patients with limb loss, from post-surgical care to community reintegration.
At California Rehabilitation Institute, an experienced team of amputee rehabilitation specialists addresses the range of medical, physical, psychological and emotional issues you face.
This inter-professional team is led by a physiatrist, a physician board-certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation and includes rehabilitation nurses; physical, occupational, and recreation therapists; neuropsychologists; dietitians; pharmacists; case managers and other clinical and support staff, as needed.
Rehabilitation is an active process and patients participate in physical and occupational therapies three hours a day, five days a week. Treatment is carefully integrated and tailored to your goals and progress. The skills and strategies you learn in therapy will be reinforced by your nursing team.
While at our hospital, you will benefit from an integrated rehabilitation program that may include:
- Expert post-surgical wound care
- Focus on early preparation and education for residual limb care and management
- Hands-on therapies to enhance strength, flexibility, coordination and endurance
- Treatment supported by enhanced technologies
- Pain or phantom limb pain management and education
- Wheelchair seating and mobility clinic
- Peer mentoring and support groups for both patients and families
- Initial consultation and follow-up planning with local prosthetists
- Collaborative, interdisciplinary discharge planning and education to maximize independence and improve quality of life
Recovery takes time. Each patient is different and your length of stay will depend on the extent of your injury, goals and personal progress.
When you’re ready, your case manager will coordinate your discharge with your physician and clinical team. He or she will also arrange for equipment and/or outpatient services and provide information on community resources that may be available to you and your family.
You will receive long-term follow up with physician to ensure patients continue to progress and coordinate care after discharge from rehabilitation.
To help you return home and resume work, school, community and/or social activities, California Rehabilitation Institute provides an unparalleled continuity of care. We help you manage your health from inpatient to outpatient care.